St Davids RNLI Lifeboat Station
Station History   1867 Silver Medal awarded to Thomas M Rees for rescuing four men from the wrecked schooner Two Brothers. 1869 The station was established in 1869 at the request of the local inhabitants. 1890 Extensive repairs to lifeboat house carried out. 1892 Silver Medal awarded to Coxswain David Hicks. 1901 A mounted messenger was appointed to take messages on occasions of service from lifeboat station to St David’s Post Office, a distance of two miles. 1902 A telescope was supplied for use of Mr Enoch Lewis who was in charge of the Signal Station and from whose farm there was an excellent view of the Sound. 1903 Silver Medal awarded to acting Coxswain William Narbett. 1906 Mortar abolished and Sound Rocket Signals supplied. 1910 Silver Medal awarded to Mr Sydney Mortimer. 1912 A motor lifeboat placed at the station necessitated its modernisation at a cost of £3,200.  A full-time motor mechanic was appointed. 1943 Bronze Medals awarded to Dr Joseph Soar and to Gwilym Davies. Bronze Medal awarded to Coxswain William Watts Williams. 1955 Silver Medal awarded to Coxswain William Watts Williams and Bronze Medal to Motor Mechanic George G Jordan and Assistant Mechanic Gwilym J Davies.  Thanks of the Institution inscribed on Vellum was accorded to Second Coxswain David Lewis, Acting Bowman William Rowlands, Emergency Mechanic Howell H Roberts, crew members William Morris and Richard Chisholm. 1956 Coxswain W Watts Williams, holder of the Institution’s Silver and Bronze Medals, retired after almost 20 years’ service as coxswain. Bronze Medal awarded to Coxswain D J Lewis and the The French Government posthumously awarded IM Bateman the life-saving Silver Medal, first class, and the French Lifeboat Society awarded him the Bronze Medal. 1963 The new lifeboat ON 971 was the 34th lifeboat to be provided for the RNLI by the Civil Service Lifeboat Fund.  She was named Joseph Soar (Civil Service No 34), as a tribute to the work of the late Dr Joseph Soar MBE who was honorary secretary of the St David’s station branch for over 37 years.  Dr Soar held the RNLI Bronze Medal for gallantry. 1969 Centenary Vellum awarded to station. 1978 Bronze Medal awarded to Coxswain William Morris. 1982 Bronze Medal awarded to Coxswain Frederick John. 1985 Thanks of the Institution inscribed on Vellum accorded to Coxswain/Mechanic Frederick John. 1987 Thanks of the Institution inscribed on Vellum accorded to Coxswain/Mechanic Frederick John. 1989 Bronze Medal awarded to Coxswain/Mechanic David Chant. 1997 D class lifeboat D-369 sent to station on 19 July for evaluation. 1998 New D class lifeboat D-543 Saint David-Dewi Sant placed on service on 9 December.  This lifeboat was funded by the generosity of the members of Rotary International District 1070.  D-369 has been withdrawn to ILC Cowes. 1999 Thanks of the Institution inscribed on Vellum awarded to Coxswain Malcolm Gray. 2002 Following the visit on 6 September 2001 by the Coast Review delegation, led by Commodore R C Hastie, it was agreed by the Search and Rescue Committee on 6 February 2002 and resolved by the Executive Committee at their meeting on 10 April 2002 that the station be earmarked for the allocation of an FSB2 in due course and that the replacement of the existing boathouse and slipway be progressed in order to ensure that the new facilities are available when required.  It was also resolved that there be no change to the ILB coverage at this station. 2005 A Framed Letter of Thanks signed by the Chairman of the Institution Mr Peter Nicholson was presented to Helmsman Neil Thomas. Former Coxswain Malcolm Gray honoured by Her Majesty the Queen in the New Years Honours with a Member, Order of the British Empire (MBE) for services to The Institution. The Thanks of the Institution inscribed on Vellum accorded to Coxswain Malcolm Gray MBE. 2008 The Thanks of the Institution inscribed on Vellum accorded to Coxswain David John and Second Coxswain Clive Hayes received a Framed Letter of Thanks signed by the Chairman of the Institution Admiral Sir Jock Slater. A collective Letter of Thanks signed by the Chairman of the Institution, Admiral the Lord Boyce GCB OBE DL was presented to the crew of D-543, Helmsman Nicholas Phillips, Helmsman Simon Thornton and Crew Member Simon Twitchen, and also Crew Member Gareth Morris.    The new station D class lifeboat D-704 Myrtle and Trevor Gurr was placed on service on 24 November 2008.  Lifeboat D-543 has been withdrawn to the relief fleet.   2013 The new station Tamar Class lifeboat ON1306 Norah Wortley was placed on service 19 April 2013.  This lifeboat was funded by the generous legacy of Mrs Diana Mary Symon together with a donation from the Diana Symon Charitable Trust.  Lifeboat ON1139 Garside remained on service at St Davids No. 2 pending completion of the new Tamar boathouse. 2014 Work started to construct a new station and slipway at St Justinians. 2016 The Tamar and D-class lifeboats became operational from the new lifeboat station and the Tyne class Garside is put into the RNLI’s relief fleet.
© David John and St Davids RNLI 2017.    The Royal National Lifeboat Institution is a charity registered in England and Wales (209603)
Station History   1867 Silver Medal awarded to Thomas M Rees for rescuing four men from the wrecked schooner Two Brothers. 1869 The station was established in 1869 at the request of the local inhabitants. 1890 Extensive repairs to lifeboat house carried out. 1892 Silver Medal awarded to Coxswain David Hicks. 1901 A mounted messenger was appointed to take messages on occasions of service from lifeboat station to St David’s Post Office, a distance of two miles. 1902 A telescope was supplied for use of Mr Enoch Lewis who was in charge of the Signal Station and from whose farm there was an excellent view of the Sound. 1903 Silver Medal awarded to acting Coxswain William Narbett. 1906 Mortar abolished and Sound Rocket Signals supplied. 1910 Silver Medal awarded to Mr Sydney Mortimer. 1912 A motor lifeboat placed at the station necessitated its modernisation at a cost of £3,200.  A full-time motor mechanic was appointed. 1943 Bronze Medals awarded to Dr Joseph Soar and to Gwilym Davies. Bronze Medal awarded to Coxswain William Watts Williams. 1955 Silver Medal awarded to Coxswain William Watts Williams and Bronze Medal to Motor Mechanic George G Jordan and Assistant Mechanic Gwilym J Davies.  Thanks of the Institution inscribed on Vellum was accorded to Second Coxswain David Lewis, Acting Bowman William Rowlands, Emergency Mechanic Howell H Roberts, crew members William Morris and Richard Chisholm. 1956 Coxswain W Watts Williams, holder of the Institution’s Silver and Bronze Medals, retired after almost 20 years’ service as coxswain. Bronze Medal awarded to Coxswain D J Lewis and the The French Government posthumously awarded IM Bateman the life-saving Silver Medal, first class, and the French Lifeboat Society awarded him the Bronze Medal. 1963 The new lifeboat ON 971 was the 34th lifeboat to be provided for the RNLI by the Civil Service Lifeboat Fund.  She was named Joseph Soar (Civil Service No 34), as a tribute to the work of the late Dr Joseph Soar MBE who was honorary secretary of the St David’s station branch for over 37 years.  Dr Soar held the RNLI Bronze Medal for gallantry. 1969 Centenary Vellum awarded to station. 1978 Bronze Medal awarded to Coxswain William Morris. 1982 Bronze Medal awarded to Coxswain Frederick John. 1985 Thanks of the Institution inscribed on Vellum accorded to Coxswain/Mechanic Frederick John. 1987 Thanks of the Institution inscribed on Vellum accorded to Coxswain/Mechanic Frederick John. 1989 Bronze Medal awarded to Coxswain/Mechanic David Chant. 1997 D class lifeboat D-369 sent to station on 19 July for evaluation. 1998 New D class lifeboat D-543 Saint David-Dewi Sant placed on service on 9 December.  This lifeboat was funded by the generosity of the members of Rotary International District 1070.  D-369 has been withdrawn to ILC Cowes. 1999 Thanks of the Institution inscribed on Vellum awarded to Coxswain Malcolm Gray. 2002 Following the visit on 6 September 2001 by the Coast Review delegation, led by Commodore R C Hastie, it was agreed by the Search and Rescue Committee on 6 February 2002 and resolved by the Executive Committee at their meeting on 10 April 2002 that the station be earmarked for the allocation of an FSB2 in due course and that the replacement of the existing boathouse and slipway be progressed in order to ensure that the new facilities are available when required.  It was also resolved that there be no change to the ILB coverage at this station. 2005 A Framed Letter of Thanks signed by the Chairman of the Institution Mr Peter Nicholson was presented to Helmsman Neil Thomas. Former Coxswain Malcolm Gray honoured by Her Majesty the Queen in the New Years Honours with a Member, Order of the British Empire (MBE) for services to The Institution. The Thanks of the Institution inscribed on Vellum accorded to Coxswain Malcolm Gray MBE. 2008 The Thanks of the Institution inscribed on Vellum accorded to Coxswain David John and Second Coxswain Clive Hayes received a Framed Letter of Thanks signed by the Chairman of the Institution Admiral Sir Jock Slater. A collective Letter of Thanks signed by the Chairman of the Institution, Admiral the Lord Boyce GCB OBE DL was presented to the crew of D-543, Helmsman Nicholas Phillips, Helmsman Simon Thornton and Crew Member Simon Twitchen, and also Crew Member Gareth Morris.    The new station D class lifeboat D-704 Myrtle and Trevor Gurr was placed on service on 24 November 2008.  Lifeboat D-543 has been withdrawn to the relief fleet.   2013 The new station Tamar Class lifeboat ON1306 Norah Wortley was placed on service 19 April 2013.  This lifeboat was funded by the generous legacy of Mrs Diana Mary Symon together with a donation from the Diana Symon Charitable Trust.  Lifeboat ON1139 Garside remained on service at St Davids No. 2 pending completion of the new Tamar boathouse. 2014 Work started to construct a new station and slipway at St Justinians. 2016 The Tamar and D-class lifeboats became operational from the new lifeboat station and the Tyne class Garside is put into the RNLI’s relief fleet.
Copyright:  David John and St Davids RNLI 2017. The Royal National Lifeboat Institution is a charity registered in England and Wales (209603)
Station History   1867 Silver Medal awarded to Thomas M Rees for rescuing four men from the wrecked schooner Two Brothers. 1869 The station was established in 1869 at the request of the local inhabitants. 1890 Extensive repairs to lifeboat house carried out. 1892 Silver Medal awarded to Coxswain David Hicks. 1901 A mounted messenger was appointed to take messages on occasions of service from lifeboat station to St David’s Post Office, a distance of two miles. 1902 A telescope was supplied for use of Mr Enoch Lewis who was in charge of the Signal Station and from whose farm there was an excellent view of the Sound. 1903 Silver Medal awarded to acting Coxswain William Narbett. 1906 Mortar abolished and Sound Rocket Signals supplied. 1910 Silver Medal awarded to Mr Sydney Mortimer. 1912 A motor lifeboat placed at the station necessitated its modernisation at a cost of £3,200.  A full-time motor mechanic was appointed. 1943 Bronze Medals awarded to Dr Joseph Soar and to Gwilym Davies. Bronze Medal awarded to Coxswain William Watts Williams. 1955 Silver Medal awarded to Coxswain William Watts Williams and Bronze Medal to Motor Mechanic George G Jordan and Assistant Mechanic Gwilym J Davies.  Thanks of the Institution inscribed on Vellum was accorded to Second Coxswain David Lewis, Acting Bowman William Rowlands, Emergency Mechanic Howell H Roberts, crew members William Morris and Richard Chisholm. 1956 Coxswain W Watts Williams, holder of the Institution’s Silver and Bronze Medals, retired after almost 20 years’ service as coxswain. Bronze Medal awarded to Coxswain D J Lewis and the The French Government posthumously awarded IM Bateman the life-saving Silver Medal, first class, and the French Lifeboat Society awarded him the Bronze Medal. 1963 The new lifeboat ON 971 was the 34th lifeboat to be provided for the RNLI by the Civil Service Lifeboat Fund.  She was named Joseph Soar (Civil Service No 34), as a tribute to the work of the late Dr Joseph Soar MBE who was honorary secretary of the St David’s station branch for over 37 years.  Dr Soar held the RNLI Bronze Medal for gallantry. 1969 Centenary Vellum awarded to station. 1978 Bronze Medal awarded to Coxswain William Morris. 1982 Bronze Medal awarded to Coxswain Frederick John. 1985 Thanks of the Institution inscribed on Vellum accorded to Coxswain/Mechanic Frederick John. 1987 Thanks of the Institution inscribed on Vellum accorded to Coxswain/Mechanic Frederick John. 1989 Bronze Medal awarded to Coxswain/Mechanic David Chant. 1997 D class lifeboat D-369 sent to station on 19 July for evaluation. 1998 New D class lifeboat D-543 Saint David-Dewi Sant placed on service on 9 December.  This lifeboat was funded by the generosity of the members of Rotary International District 1070.  D-369 has been withdrawn to ILC Cowes. 1999 Thanks of the Institution inscribed on Vellum awarded to Coxswain Malcolm Gray. 2002 Following the visit on 6 September 2001 by the Coast Review delegation, led by Commodore R C Hastie, it was agreed by the Search and Rescue Committee on 6 February 2002 and resolved by the Executive Committee at their meeting on 10 April 2002 that the station be earmarked for the allocation of an FSB2 in due course and that the replacement of the existing boathouse and slipway be progressed in order to ensure that the new facilities are available when required.  It was also resolved that there be no change to the ILB coverage at this station. 2005 A Framed Letter of Thanks signed by the Chairman of the Institution Mr Peter Nicholson was presented to Helmsman Neil Thomas. Former Coxswain Malcolm Gray honoured by Her Majesty the Queen in the New Years Honours with a Member, Order of the British Empire (MBE) for services to The Institution. The Thanks of the Institution inscribed on Vellum accorded to Coxswain Malcolm Gray MBE. 2008 The Thanks of the Institution inscribed on Vellum accorded to Coxswain David John and Second Coxswain Clive Hayes received a Framed Letter of Thanks signed by the Chairman of the Institution Admiral Sir Jock Slater. A collective Letter of Thanks signed by the Chairman of the Institution, Admiral the Lord Boyce GCB OBE DL was presented to the crew of D-543, Helmsman Nicholas Phillips, Helmsman Simon Thornton and Crew Member Simon Twitchen, and also Crew Member Gareth Morris.    The new station D class lifeboat D-704 Myrtle and Trevor Gurr was placed on service on 24 November 2008.  Lifeboat D-543 has been withdrawn to the relief fleet.   2013 The new station Tamar Class lifeboat ON1306 Norah Wortley was placed on service 19 April 2013.  This lifeboat was funded by the generous legacy of Mrs Diana Mary Symon together with a donation from the Diana Symon Charitable Trust.  Lifeboat ON1139 Garside remained on service at St Davids No. 2 pending completion of the new Tamar boathouse. 2014 Work started to construct a new station and slipway at St Justinians. 2016 The Tamar and D-class lifeboats became operational from the new lifeboat station and the Tyne class Garside is put into the RNLI’s relief fleet.
St Davids RNLI Lifeboat Station
Copyright:  David John and St Davids RNLI 2017. The Royal National Lifeboat Institution is a charity registered in England and Wales (209603)